Here’s a recipe from me that made its debut as a guest post on the fantastic food blogEatWithMeShrimoyee.com, headed by my friend and fellow food aficionado Shrimoyee Chakraborty. If you’ve never visited the site, you should check it out, because her food photos and recipes offer quite a lot by way of food for the eyes as well as the hungry stomach.
What you’ll Need:
- 2 1/2− 3 lbs beef short ribs
- 1 bottle (750 ml) Cabernet Sauvignon
- 1 1/2 cups pomegranate juice
- 3 cups beef stock
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup diced carrots
- 1/2 cup diced sweet yellow onion
- 1/3 cup finely chopped green onion
- 1/2 tsp coriander seeds, lightly toasted and crushed
- 1/2 tsp fresh thyme, chopped
- Vegetable oil (just enough to cover the bottom of a large frying pan or dutch oven)
What To Do:
- Trim any especially thick exterior fat from short ribs before preparing. Into a container deep enough for wine to completely cover short ribs, place short ribs in a single layer and pour entire bottle of Cabernet Sauvignon. Cover, refrigerate, and let marinate overnight (or minimum four hours).
- Cover the bottom of a frying pan or dutch oven with vegetable oil on stovetop over medium-high heat.
- Combine flour, salt, and black pepper in a bowl and mix until thoroughly blended. Remove short ribs from marinade. Set marinade aside.
- Dredge marinated short ribs through seasoned flour. When oil is hot, add flour-coated short ribs 3 or 4 at a time, turning them every minute or two to sear all sides until brown.
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Set seared short ribs aside. When all ribs are brown, add sweet onion, green onion, and carrots to pan. Cook over medium heat for five minutes or until vegetables soften. If necessary, add another tbsp or two of oil to prevent vegetables from sticking or burning.
- Pour in beef stock 1/2 cup at a time, using a wooden spoon to loosen any cooked-on bits of meat or skin from cooking surface. Add coriander seeds, thyme, 1 1/2 cups wine marinade, 1 1/2 cups pomegranate juice, and adjust heat to bring to a boil. Discard remaining marinade. Let liquid boil for 8-10 minutes, then remove from heat.
- In oven-safe cooking dish with lid, arrange short ribs in single layer and cover with liquid. Place covered dish in 200-degree oven and cook for 4 1/2 to 5 hours.
Optional: For a thicker sauce, after dish is finished in the oven, remove short ribs from liquid and boil liquid on stovetop to reduce it to desired consistency.